The activity-packed Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) is scheduled this year for February 25th-March 17th. If you’re new to the area, the Rodeo is an event that you’ll definitely want to make sure you check out.
There is something for everyone, and even if you’ve been 20 times, the Rodeo always has something new for everyone!
This year’s HLSR is packed full of star entertainers, including country legends George Strait, Cody Johnson, and Chris Stapleton. You will want to look at the full schedule online to see if you can snag any of the remaining tickets!
Also, take time to actually go see the ‘Rodeo’ part of the rodeo! Catch some barrel racing, bareback riding, steer wrestling, the very popular mutton bustin, and so much more. If your kids have never seen a horse or cow up close you’ll want to visit the livestock show, where cowboys and ranchers will tell you about their prize livestock. If you’re lucky, you might even get to see a live birth at the birthing center, where visitors can watch calves, lambs, and chicks enter the world.
If shopping is your thing, you can ‘literally’ shop till you drop in the Reliant Center, where vendors sell everything from cowboy hats, boots and western wear to candles and jewelry. Of course, you can’t go to the Rodeo without indulging in all the yummy food that will definitely tempt your taste buds. Finally, the carnival is also a fun place to hop on a few rides, like the ferris wheel, or play a few games to try and win a prize.
They always say everything is bigger in Texas and the HLSR is no exception! So shine up your boots, take a look at all the events online at www.rodeohouston.com, and go enjoy some fun.
Here are a few fun facts you might not have known about the HLSR:
- The 7 founders of the HLSR wanted to help preserve the cattle industry in the Texas Gulf Coast. They first named it the Houston Fat Stock Show and Livestock Exposition, and they held their first event in 1932.
- The very first parade took place in downtown Houston in 1938.
- The first entertainer was country legend Gene Autry back in 1942.
- The first trail ride took place in 1952 with four men, who rode from Brenham, Texas to Houston.
- In 1966 HLSR moved to the Astrodome from Sam Houston Coliseum.
- Even the King Of Rock and Roll himself Elvis Presley rocked the stage in 1970.
- Since the Rodeo started it has committed more than $475 million to the youth of Texas!
- The Rodeo makes its new home at Reliant Stadium in 2003.
- It takes more than 34,000 volunteers to make the HLSR a success each year.
Do you have a favorite Rodeo memory or a favorite event you catch every year? Tell us about it below, we would love to hear from you!